Sunday, August 10, 2008

SZ Tale 05 - Keeper Attachment

I started off on the wrong foot with the keeper early in the morning because I got his name wrong and he is quite a fierce (maybe strict is a better word) keeper. But then I’m not complaining because he taught me a lot actually.

First task of the day was to sweep the floor, then wash the vegetables.


They were for the manatees which kept eating constantly (more about that later). Then we had a morning tea break. I found out that the central kitchen which is primarily in charge of preparing food for animals; is also in charge of the food for the keepers (at least the 2 tea breaks.. lunch was also provided but not sure who prepared).

I was told much later on that I had to sweep the floor etc to make myself sweat. This will then open the pores to remove the perfume away and make me smell similar to the surroundings. Then when I interact with the animals, they will find me familiar. Interesting!

Anyway the animal I feed most is the manatees or sea cows or sea mermaids. They are herbivorous and use their large, prehensile upper lips to grasp the plants and guide them into the mouth. They can grazes for six to eight hours each day.



The zoo currently has 2.3 (2 males and 3 females). Eve (I hope I did not get the name wrong) is pregnant and should be giving birth anytime soon. Oh and she has been pregnant for about a year already (their gestation is about 12-14 months).



In the past, manatees were hunted for their meat, hide and oil. Today, they are threatened with habitat degradation from oil, chemical and toxic waste pollution.

Oh and the zoo has a special token feeding session where interested people can feed the manatees with carrots and potato. I had the chance to see one of the loyal feeders, a young girl. The mum told us that her daughter never fails to visit here if they visit the zoo. She did have a lovely time feeding the manatees.



Manatee Mania (Feeding session)

Venue: Splash Amphitheatre
Time: 2.00pm
Fee: S$5.00

Other than the manatees, I fed Randy the sea lion with fishes and fish heads. The other sea lions were fed by other zookeepers. The sea lions can be quite noisy, playful and extremely active.


I did not take picture of the sea lions though because they were in their holding dens. However I took some pictures of the African Penguin or Black-footed penguin or Jackass penguin as my friend likes penguins and had asked me to take some pictures for her. Not very well taken though because the penguins were pretty active too haha. Anyway I did not have a chance to feed them or look after them either.



The Jackass penguin is thus named because its call sounds like the braying of jackass or donkey.

It inhabits the coastal waters of Southern Africa and is the only penguin found on the African continent.


Foraging is done during the day, usually in small groups although as many as 3,000 penguins may congregate in one area.

Jackass penguins continue to face threats from oil pollution and introduced animals such as feral cats, which prey heavily on the chicks.



My last photo of the penguin before I ended my attachment..


I’m not sure what this bird is, forgot the name already.


These birds and the pelicans were sharing the same holding den


Then is home sweet home for me… amazingly I managed to survive my attachment and I actually left with a deeper understanding of certain things. One thing the keeper taught me was that other than the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle), there is another R… he made me guessed first and I thought was Remember? Haha.. then he said Replant. Hmm now I feel so guilty because I did not think of it. He concentrated more on forestation and believed that so long we save the nature, the animals will save themselves. True because right now we are robbing them their natural habitats, that’s why they are in danger.

Anyway on the way back, the clouds and the trees ease my journey back…




Lastly I would like to share this movie with you. A kind soul uploaded it a year ago and while the video is not clear, the commentary is crystal clear and the message the commenter was trying to bring through to the audience is something I hope to share with you too.


Source: Youtube

1 comment:

Wisely said...

haha this is the 1st time i hear somebody who put on perfume and work in the zoo, sounds abit "animal unfriendly"...

hmm the sense of smell is actually a fascinating sense i find, not only other animals, even we humans feel more comfortable with scent similar to our familiar surroundings (eg family, home etc...)

in fact, one of the reasons why some people cant sleep outside their home is becos the linen etc do not have their own body scent... =]