Saturday, June 13, 2009

Noon duty cum NS tour

Sadly I forgot to take photo of the special animal visitors on duty that day. We had the jungle nymph, banded bull frog and giant millipede. But I couldn't remember much about these exhibits and it was really a busy noonday that I had no time to remember my camera.

The eggs were asking a lot of questions e.g.
1) Does the male jungle nymph fly?
Yes, the adult male Jungle Nymph do fly. Like most of the Phasmids males, it is more of the gliding motion compared to actual flying.

2) What does the chilean rose tarantula feed on?
On Tarantula, the Chilean Rose, all the other species of tarantula in our collections are fed with 2 to 3 adult crickets every 10 days. So are the scorpions.

3) Are the flying foxes bred in the zoo?
Flying foxes have been in the zoo for a more than 21 years ago. Thus record keeping was not as updated compared to the last 15 years and is unknown if they were captured from the wild.

The current flying foxes are all captive bred. To prevent inbreeding, we
do introduce unrelated bats from other zoos and we sometime swap the
bats with the Night Safari collection.

Oh and I had a fun time in the Night Safari. This time, I toured on my own so can take my own sweet time to see the flying squirrel FLY!!! Okok, not fly, is glide. If only I can glide.


Red and white flying squirrel
(Petaurista alborufus)
白面鼯wú鼠
Can glide over a distance of up to 400m.

Sorry, but it was tough trying to catch it without flashlight plus I admit I'm a lousy photographer.  Hmm though it still hurts when CL said I alwaz produce blur photos onli.. :'(


Porcupine! I remember someone owe me an interesting pic of it.. gonna bug the photographer later.


Can you see the giraffe sleeping? Haha, and if you always wanted to know how does a giraffe sleeps, well you got your answer. They will sit down and sleep. And if you want a clear photo, follow this link.

No comments: