Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sungei Buloh

Source:
Ecology Asia
Wildsingapore

My first time visit to Sungei Buloh...



Sungei Buloh's vision is to see that we are all part of nature's web of life.  Very true!
Oh btw, I kept asking what is the meaning of Sungei Buloh, just found out Sungei means River, Buloh means Bamboo.  It was possible that bamboo was once found here.



So we were first greeted with the Johor view...


You can find archer fish and striped-nosed halfbeak here.  Striped-nosed halfbeak has a funny mouth - the lower jaw is much longer than the upper, it is lengthened into a long needle-like beak.



There is a little hut for you to observe migratory birds... except this is not the season (it is usually in September to March).  You can see little egrets,white-collared kingfishers and others which I forgot the name already.  Oops!



I found this fruit interesting and took a picture.  Later on, I found out it is called Akar Kul.  The whole vine is pounded and the poultice (paste) rubbed on the abdomen to relieve stomachache.




Why I am fascinated by this name Api Api Puteh is probably because of the word "Puteh".  The day before, I had been asking how does Kachang Puteh got its name haha.  I still don't know other than the fact that Puteh means White.



Lots of weaver ants' nests can be found in Sungei Buloh.  My friend joked that they have many branches haha.


Saw a jellyfish too which is a bit weird because jellyfish usually can only be found in oceans and seas.  Did this jellyfish lost its way?  Google told me that it might be an Acromitus sp.
Bell about 6-8 in diameter. Each fat sausage-like oral arm has a long 'tail'. In shallow lagoons on our Northern shores. Moves in short bobs as they energetically contract their small bells. Source: Wildsingapore

Guess it is native in Sungei Buloh then.

As there were too much mosquitoes (probably after the rain) that we decided to call it a day and went to visit the Aeroponics Farm next door. Saw the passionfruit plant...


Butterhead lettuce which is made into butterhead juice, their specialty drink.  It costs SGD1.50 here for a small bottle.



and lots of gourds.. don't ask me the names, I cannot differentiate one gourd from the other... other than the snake gourd as it look too much like the snake haha...


I saw the cotton plant too.  This reminds me of the cotton tree I always see in Pasir Ris.  I finally found out its real name is Kapok or Cotton tree.

Then is lunch time... and nap time.  Thanks for the good weather!

No comments: